From A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
|Image by Rachel Howden|
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbs. lemon zest
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cup sugar
2 lemons, thinly sliced and seeded
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Boil lemon slices for about 15 minutes in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar.
3) Grease a muffin tin with butter, vegetable oil or non-stick spray.
4) In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5) In another bowl, beat butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
6) Beat in eggs, then beat in 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and lemon zest.
7) Beat in flour mixture and then buttermilk.
8) Place 1 lemon slice in the bottom of each muffin cup.
9) Divide batter between cups, pouring over the lemon slices.
10) Bake until cakes are firm and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
11) Mix together remaining lemon juice and sugar. Poke holes into the cakes, then slowly pour lemon and sugar mixture over the cakes so the juice gets absorbed into the cakes, let set for about 5-10 minutes.
12) Remove cakes from muffin cups and serve lemon slice side up!
|Image by The Geeky Chef|
|Photo by The Geeky Chef|